Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Build Inner Strength

This comes from the Daily Insight newsletter I get in my email from Yoga Journal. Words cannot begin to describe how perfectly this fits what I need right now. So I thought I would share it.

Want to develop inner strength? Try these techniques recommended by Fairfax, California, yoga teacher and author Nischala Joy Devi.

Breathe. Alternate-nostril breathing can help calm you down. Close your right nostril with your right thumb and inhale through your left nostril for four seconds. Immediately close the left nostril with your right ring finger. At the same time remove your thumb from the right nostril and exhale for eight seconds. Switch to the left nostril, and begin again. This, Devi says, cleanses and rejuvenates vital channels of energy.

Affirm. As you inhale, think: The strength I feel inside me is enough to sustain me during any experience I have today. As you exhale: The compassion from my heart will lead me to help anyone in need. With such thoughts, Devi says, what we're doing is strengthening and bringing prana into our system, which helps us become strong and compassionate toward others.

Relax. Lie down in Savasana (Corpse Pose) and mentally go over the parts of your body one by one for 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.