Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Clean Eating Challenge: Thursday

I've challenged myself to go cold turkey on my beloved junk food and eat 100% clean for seven days straight. Well, maybe 95% clean... but I think that's close enough for a beginner. Here's what I ate today.

Breakfast
1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
2 tablespoons coarsely ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon honey
3 dashes ground cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh, local blueberries

Spinach omelette (1 whole egg, 1 egg white)

Coffee with organic half-and-half and sweetened with 1 tablespoon maple syrup

Morning Snack
1 red delicious apple
Small handful unsalted almonds

**Today's workout was supposed to be Yoga X, but I've rearranged my week so that I can rest on Saturday when I'm traveling to visit my parents. I was going to do Kenpo X, but I don't really like Kenpo. So I did the Plyometrics workout instead and LOVED it. I never used to be able to make it all the way through the full hours. Now I not only completed the whole workout, but I ROCKED it. Go me!**

"Lunch" (Post-Workout)
10 ounces organic skim milk
4 tablespoons chocolate soy protein powder

Afternoon Snack (which I had to share with the man cub)
10 ounces plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons all natural peanut butter
1 crumbled up cinnamon graham cracker (not technically clean, but all I had... at least it doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup)

Dinner
2 cups spinach and spring mix greens
4 oz. marinated chicken
     Marinade:
     2 teaspoons olive oil
     1 teaspoon lime juice
     Generous dashes of ground cumin
1/2 cup reduced sodium black beans
1/2 cup reduced sodium chickpeas
2 tablespoons chunky salsa

Evening Snack
?????

Summary
The timing of my meals was thrown off today by having John at home. I had to wait until his nap time to do my workout, which was fine, and didn't feel like eating a full meal afterward. So I had the protein shake for "lunch" right after my workout. I intended to eat the salad for my "afternoon snack" and then make something using the summer squash I have sitting in the fridge. But I got side tracked with play time out in the yard, so I opted for a quicker snack (the yogurt). I ate the salad for dinner because the chicken was already marinating.

I haven't figured out what to eat for an evening snack yet, but I'm hungry and have not eaten nearly enough calories today to support how hard I worked out. To be perfectly honest, I would kill for a giant bag of popcorn right about now. Some salty, buttery deliciousness. But that much salt this late in the day would make me puff up like a balloon overnight. And I don't think we have any popcorn in the house anyway. What to do!! I'll figure something out.

FYI - I broke down and ate some of John's turkey sausage links, two pieces of whole wheat toast with a super thin layer of locally made strawberry preserves, and some decaf coffee with a half tablespoon of maple syrup and two tablespoons of organic half-and-half. Again, technically not clean... but I'm hungry!

Final Nutritional Breakdown: 1,984 calories (48% carbohydrates, 25% protein, 27% fats)

And may the peace of the Lord be always with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.