Monday, July 8, 2013

Operation "Eat A Freaking Carrot" Day 2

So tonight was our second attempt at carrots. Since I had an entire container of leftover carrots in my refrigerator, it was pretty easy to make dinner. Once again, John seemed pretty excited when I opened the container. I had already let him count out his chicken nuggets (don't judge me, I'm doing the best I can here) as we put them on his plate, so we did the same with the carrots. He counted them out and we clapped our hands when we were done. Then he licked some of the honey-cinnamon-ginger flavor off his fingers and smiled.

"Mmmm, yummy."

"Yeah, yummy carrots. Should we go eat them now?"

"Yeah, let's do that!"

After that, it was pretty much a "Groundhog Day" repetition of last night. The only difference was that at least he would touch the carrots. He mushed a couple pieces and would occasionally lick the honey-cinnamon-ginger flavor off his fingers. He kept asking for the honey again and I kept reminding him that the honey is on the carrots. Just when I was about to give up, I had an idea.

"John, there's more honey and cinnamon flavor on your carrot. Do you want to lick it?"

"Mmm hmm."

Don't ask me why I decided to do this. I'd just spent the last five days straight with John at home for vacation and the holiday weekend and James is out of town so there aren't any other adults to talk to. I think I was starting to think like a toddler. In any case, it worked because he licked the carrot.

"Mmm, yummy. Mommy, I want some honey on my finger."

"What if Mommy puts a drop of honey on your carrot? Would you eat the carrot then?"

"Mmm hmm."

Now I know this is technically bargaining with him, which I usually don't condone, but I was tired. So I got out the bottle of honey and dabbed the teeniest, tiniest drop of honey on the piece of carrot....

John took the fork, and he ate the carrot. (Haaaaaallelujah!!!)

"Mmm, yummy."

"Would you like another piece?"

"Yeah!"

So I did it again. I got the teeniest, tiniest drop of honey I could get out of the bottle and put it on another piece of carrot. John took the fork, and he ate that one too. Well, he chewed it. And chewed, and chewed, and chewed. I've seen this tactic before. He chews for a while, decides he doesn't want it, and spits the food out all over his lap. My Mommy spider senses were tingling and I could see it coming, so I picked up his little cup of milk and offered it to him.

"Would you like to wash it down with some milk?"

Now he's starting to make a sour face. "I don't like it, Mommy. I don't like it!"

"It's okay, buddy. Just drink your milk and wash it all down."

(After a couple more rounds of the I-don't-like-it's and the increasingly frantic pleas of drink-your-milk and he finally did.)

"Yaaaay!! John is such a big boy! He ate TWO whole pieces of carrot! Yay!!!"

"Yay!!"

"Mommy is so proud of you, big boy."

Lots of smiles, lots of clapping. At that point, we stopped. I'm not sure it's technically a victory because I had to bribe him by adding the drops of honey, but I'll take it. It's progress in a positive direction, so I can't complain. After all, you have to start somewhere.

And may the peace of the Lord be always with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.