Monday, July 15, 2013

The Clean Eating Challenge: Monday

I've challenged myself to go cold turkey on my beloved junk food and eat 100% clean for seven days straight. Well, maybe 95% clean... but I think that's close enough for a beginner. Here's what I ate today.

Breakfast
1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
2 tablespoons coarsely ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon honey
3 dashes ground cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh, local blueberries

Spinach omelette (1 whole egg and 1 egg white)

Coffee with organic half-and-half and sweetened with a 1/2 teaspoon honey



Morning Snack
1 red delicious apple
Small handful of unsalted almonds

Lunch
Spinach and spring mix greens
5 oz. cooked shrimp
1/4 cup grape tomatoes
10 Kalamata olives
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar dressing

**Today's workout was P90X's Core Synergistics. I decided to start my 90 days over to sync up with my clean eating challenge.**

Afternoon (Post-workout) Snack
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 organic skim milk
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup frozen black cherries
3 tablespoons chocolate soy protein powder

Dinner
4 oz. slow cooker BBQ chicken
     Sauce:
     1 cup ketchup
     1/3 cup packed brown sugar
     1/2 cup honey
     1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
     2 tablespoons ground mustard
     2 tablespoons paprika
     1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2/3 cup steamed green beans

Evening Snack
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup fresh, local blueberries

Nutritional Breakdown: 1,775 calories (43% carbohydrates, 31% protein, 26% fats)

Summary
I lost count of how many times I refilled my water bottle, but I think I've had about 80 ounces of water to drink today. Overall, I felt pretty dang great all day. I started the day feeling like complete crap because my allergies were acting up. John and I spent most of yesterday afternoon running around the back yard (literally... have I mentioned how much this kiddo likes to RUN?). I should have taken some Claritin or something last night, but I forgot. But once I'd eaten breakfast and got my morning started, I had a ton of energy and got a lot of stuff done around the house. We'll see how I do with the rest of the week, but I'm really loving this so far.

And may the peace of the Lord be always with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.