Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to School

Today is the first day of classes for the fall semester and it feels a little weird. For those of you who don't already know, I'm applying to nursing school next year. In the mean time, there are a few random pre-requisite courses that I need to have on my transcript before I can apply. So I'm taking the next two semesters to fill in some holes with the missing classes.

The good news is that I don't have to take very many classes (three this fall and two next spring). The bad news is that I don't qualify for financial aid because I'm a part-time student. While it's not the worst scenario, it still sucks. The other bad news is that I couldn't get the schedule I was hoping for. I really wanted to take all of my classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that we would have long weekends left open to travel. Unfortunately, because I registered late (looooong story), I got stuck with the last few remaining sections and they're all on the Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule. But at least I still get Tuesday/Thursday off to be at home. So it isn't a total loss.

My first class is at 8 AM. Getting up early enough for the drive downtown actually isn't that bad since I'm used to Piper getting me up around 6:30 everyday anyway. What does suck is the morning traffic. I was hoping to scoot downtown before the majority of the morning commuters were on the road, but apparently they're all up as early as I am. Oh well.

The other good thing about my schedule is that I have on-campus study time built in. My first class is 8-9, then 10-11, then 12-1, and a once-a-week lab from 3-5. So I'll have an hour in between each class to study so that I don't have to do any studying once I get home. My time at home is very precious since James' flying schedule can be so erratic. There might only be a few hours in a given day that we're both at home and both awake. This week he's flown every night, leaving around 2 PM, getting home around 3 AM, and sleeping until at least 10 that morning. If I have class on those days, I won't actually see him at all. So I'll want to spend any time I do have at home with him doing things together.

Well I think that's about it. I still have another hour to wait until my next class starts (the first one let out early after going over the syllabus). I guess I'll just meander about the internet and waste some time until 10.


And may the peace of the Lord be always with you.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to do great!
    Wayne started last week-- it's tough and wierd.... but the benefits outweigh the difficulties.
    Praying for you!
    Eyes on the prize!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.