Thursday, July 1, 2010

Single Woman Food!

Ok, well not really. But there are a lot of recipes and experimental food combinations that I've wanted to try that I KNOW James would never eat. Since he's gone and I'm here by myself, I thought I'd try a few things out. If they're any good, then I'll keep the recipes and try them on James once our move is complete. If they're terrible, then no one ever has to know!

This "recipe" was an inspired concoction from my head. I had leftover green beans (1/2 cup) from a previous meal and one serving of Land O'Frost Applewood Smoked Ham (4 thin slices), which really isn't enough for a decent sandwich. So I cooked some penne pasta (3/4 cup dry), microwaved the beans and the ham, and tossed it all in extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp) and a sun dried tomato and basil seasoning blend (it's actually an bread dipping blend, but it's good to season food too).

I didn't decide to take pictures of the dish until after I'd assembled it, otherwise I would have made it look MUCH prettier. I'll have to do a better job of that next time. This was actually pretty good. The seasoning blend was a touch on the salty side, but the flavors worked well together. I love smoked ham and green beans. Maybe that's just the Southerner in me showing herself off. The only thing I would do differently might be to top it with Romano or Parmesan cheese.

Calories: 414
Carbohydrates: 48 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Fat: 17.5 grams (use less olive oil to cut back on the fat content)
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 560 mg + whatever was in the seasoning

Applewood Smoked Ham and Green Beans Over Penne



























No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.